Monday, December 13, 2010

Numbers, numbers, everywhere...

Naturally I am about as impatient as they come, so instead of waiting patiently for my lab results, I opted for the quicker route of making the phone call to my OBGYN this morning instead.  So there was good news and bad news I suppose.  My A1c was still too high at 6.1.  The doctor said he preferred it being below 6.  Currently I take 1000 mg of Metformin twice daily, which is getting close to the highest dosage possible before I need to resort to daily injections...eek.  The next step might be, and it's certainly what I am hoping that the endocrinologist will advise me on taking 850 mg three times a day.  Now I have an appointment with my endocrinologist December 29, at 4 o'clock, so we will see what will shake down then.

Because I have already been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists recommends patients keep their thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) level between 0.3 and 3.0 mIU/L.  My TSH level was 2.820, which is the high-normal range.  Therefore no medication adjustments need to be made there, yeah for passing that test! 

Lastly, the dreaded progesterone test.  The bottom line, I'm OVULATING!  Woo-hoo!  That is a great thing.  However, my progesterone level was 6.7. 
Progesterone levels during the menstrual cycle
Days 1–14: Less than 1 nanogram per milliliter (ng/mL) or 0.5–2.3 nanomoles per liter (nmol/L)
Days 15–28:
2–25 ng/mL or 6.4–79.5 nmol/L
 As you can see, I was at the low end of normal.  Which they said is still indicative of ovulation, but being me I am still skeptical.  For now, I will think positive and keep moving forward.  Nurse K was an absolute gem and I called and called back at least 4 or 5 times and she was so caring.  She recommended setting an appointment for March to see if my cycles become more normal, to see if my A1c gets below 6 and to make sure my TSH stays where it is.  So for now, I must keep moving forward.

This is probably going to be a two post kind of day, considering it is weigh in day.  I already know that I am up, I am just unsure of how much.  I will explain that in a few hours.

Ovulation and Normal Periods.
XO.
Terra

No comments:

Post a Comment